The hotel is located on Mackinac Island, a small island between Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsulas. The Island has a lot of interesting history, which is preserved in its state parks. In the late 19th century, Mackinac Island became a popular summer tourist attraction. It is well known for its festivals, architecture, its fudge, and its ban on almost all motor vehicles. Cars are not permitted on Mackinac Island, so you are going back in time where the main means of transportation are bicycles and horse-drawn carriages. A ferry boat must be taken to reach Mackinac Island.
Season Officially Begins April 26, 2018*
Detroit Chamber Policy Conference, May 29-June 1, 2018
Mackinac Island Lilac Festival, June 8-17, 2018
Lilac 10k Run & Walk, June 9, 2018
Taste of Mackinac, June 14, 2018
Lilac Festival Grand Parade, June 17, 2018
W. T. Rabe Stone Skipping Contest, July 4, 2018
Mackinac Island Fireworks, July 4, 2018
Bell's Beer Bayview Mackinac Race, July 14, 2018
Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, July 21, 2018
Mackinac Island Fudge Festival, August 25-26, 2018
Mackinac Island Eight Mile Run, September 8, 2018
Women's Wellness Weekend, October 19-21, 2018
Mackinac Island Halloween Weekend, October 26-28, 2018
Great Turtle Trail Run, October 27, 2018
Be in the know before you go!
There are two ferry lines traveling to Mackinac Island. We recommend Star Line
as it is the most convenient location, directly across from the hotel. The Star Line Ferry also offers a discount to guests of the hotel (found in your confirmation email).
- Our friendly dock porters will greet you and transport your luggage from the ferry docks to the Murray Hotel.
- Mackinac Island is known for its cool breezes - don't forget to pack an additional layer.
- The Island is known for an intermittent drop of rain or two - a rain coat or umbrella will ensure you don't miss a beat.
- Bringing a bike? A lock, helmet and fenders are a must (fenders prevent the rain spray up your back). Overnight bike parking is available in the bike racks by Doud’s grocery store and Marquette Park.
- The Island is known for its breathtaking, but rocky beaches - you'll want to bring water shoes.
- A Grand evening - jazz under the stars, ballroom dancing, a drink in the beautiful Cupola Bar; after 6 pm, the public is welcome at Grand Hotel, with appropriate dress (Men - jacket & tie; Women - cocktail attire).
If you need help with your plans, just ask our staff - we're happy to help!
Where to play while you stay!
- Looking for that perfect sunset? A Stroll down the boardwalk is gorgeous at sunset with the Mighty Mac as a backdrop.
- Mackinac Island is a food-lovers dream. From grab 'n go to elegant dining, we've got it all.
- Enjoy swimming at British Landing and beautiful natural rock formations off the Arch Rock shore line.
- Feeling adventurous? Fort Holmes is a treasure not to be missed. Bring a picnic lunch.
- Geocaching, anyone? The Island has some great finds - don't forget your GPS.
Looking for something unique just for you? From our favorite running trails to the best root beer float, any of our staff is happy to point you in the right direction.